Wednesday 21 January 2009

Why am i a vegetarian?



I have recently become a vegeterian and so many people, including myself, have been asking why? And it has really got me thinking...why have i done it?

I have been reading the PeTA magazines and they seem very bias obviously against eating meat but what i dont understand is why do they have to be so blantant - when i was reading it i felt like it was reminding people why they became vegetarians and reinforcing them and telling people it was ok to be a veggie, but to be honest i dont need to see pictures of tortured pigs and hens and other fam animals to make me a veggie - to be honest i can't look at the images and thats why i became a veggie! I guess the images are designed to provoke and get people to act which i really do agree with.

So there are many resons one can become veggie: animal rights, hate the taste of meat, religion, health, family etc. To be honest i think i did it because i wanted to do something which meant something - does that make sense? I think i feel i have just been doing what i should be doing, eating what i have always eaten and so on, and i wanted to change to make a staement to myself I think. Also it is so important to Buddhist religion. But its so odd - now i am a veggie i cant stand the thought of having dead flesh in my mouth and chewing and chewing that body that used to be alive and breathin and dreaming and loving.

I cannot come close to say how much i love being a veggie - i have got a great cookbook, a veggie nosh book for students (so its right up my street and its so easy to use!) and because of that i am cooking one meal from scratch a week, and oh my god i am have found so many foods i have never considered. i know how to make scrambled eggs and omlettes, and oh my god i made the best chocolate chilli cinnimon chilli - here's the recipe:

Angel's Chocolate chilli cinnnamon vegi chilli (makes 3 meals)

  • One 500g bag of veggi mince
  • One can chopped toms
  • One jar hot chilli sauce
  • One can red kidney beans
  • 1/2 tube tomato purree
  • 2 tablespoons chilli (or more if you like it hot!)
  • 2 tablespoons chocolate powder
  • 200g wholemeal pasta

Great hot and cold....mmmmmmmmmm!

So yeah its great - making fruity rice next week. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment